Saturday, April 25, 2009

Your universe mostly devoid of matter too?

"If in touching their skin we are touching the void, why does it feel so complete?" ~Natalie Angier, The Canon

Being in this city has opened my eyes to the nature of human connection. Increasing the density of people surrounding you and increasing the number of interactions with other people does not, by any means, increase the number of actual connections made. Obviously there is no scientific algorithm for friendship (as much as Sheldon from Big Bang Theory would like to believe there is). So many people come to this city in order to "find themselves", and yet in a strange but cliche turn of events, I think that I've had to maintain a vigilant awareness of my goals in order to not get swept up in the swaying of the masses.

I really should be writing my paper right now, but because of a failed "free wifi" hunt, I opted to read a bit and enjoy an iced Spanish latte in the sun. Solitude with so many people walking/talking around me used to feel so strange- and it still does, but to a lesser degree.

Note about the quote | Natalie Angier is one of my favorite contributors to the New York Times Science section. Her ability to cross the worlds of all six Nobel prize categories demonstrates a rarely seen well-coordinated crossing of the brain hemispheres; one in a myriad of traits that I wish I could embody.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home