Monday, March 09, 2009

Dear Life,

You're breaking my heart.

(1) Nothing is ever fair in life.
Aside from social justice issues in the world, there are just some things that I think are truly unfair. Bad things happening to good people and vice versa- not that I'm any authority on what is "good". I used to think that there was some sort of justice in the world and that I just haven't been able to grasp the long-term consequences of today's minor-offense criminals. I'm not talking about breaking civil law, just simple disregard for fellow human beings. The few promoters of egalitarian thought are continually competing against the immediate consequences, the current needs, and the selfish tendencies that drive innate human instincts and self-preservation.

(2) That's it!
With my usual rants and criticisms of the American socio-political climate, I usually have a hard time putting my finger on what I am so frustrated about. And then it just comes out- surprisingly, during a conversation with my roommate (who is learning English and acquainting herself with American culture). Most American citizens can trace back to ancestors that voluntarily immigrated to the United States in order to realize the potential this country has to offer. And now for the realization: After all these years of incredible development, this country has yet to realize its amazing potential. What are we doing with incredible resources, diverse cultures, and the greatest minds of the world?

Instead most in this country get sidetracked with recreation and how to spend that "disposable" income. I say "disposable" because it is anything but disposable in my mind. I'm not saying that you can't spend some money on yourself, but when did regular spa treatments become necessary for a stress-free life? Those $5 you spend on coffee every day- set the equivalent aside for a month (if you can afford it) and do something with it. There are tons of organizations that do great things with your extra money (e.g. Kiva).

Check out what the developing world has been up to with its money. (*I haven't checked their data collection methods, but most of it is intuitive)

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM , Blogger tj said...

When people are rich they tend to do things which help them go up their "Maslow's" hierarchy of needs.

Business/Companies have options for extracting the very penny from every customer from their wallets.

Hope more be considerate of the
unlucky ones.

My thoughts worth 0.99$
tharun

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home