Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Comin' Back Home

I'm coming back. Yes it's true. This may be my last post during this trip to Taiwan. I will be back the night of the 29th. So that means that I will probably see some of you during September. For those of you whom have already left me, I will try my best to find time to see ya'll.

In retrospect, this trip was mostly good. I hope that all of you will have an open mind when you go to any foreign country. Do not spend your time comparing and patronizing the culture or people. I went to the National Palace Museum, where they had an exhibit on the Emperor's belongings. So there were numerous large placards with Chinese written on the top and English on the bottom. My cousins were kind of fooling around and one bumped into the placard. So the man next to me said "stupid girl". Like my cousins dont understand. Then he started talking to the girl that understood Chinese and English. Eventhough...she was FOB for sure. And she tells him that we're probable practicing our English. And he says...do you think they understand??? Oh man. I didn't say anything to him, but I sure did have a few things on my mind.

What gives a stranger any right to call anyone stupid? No matter what kind of "superior" country you come from, you are an ambassador of some sort for your country. Set a good example. Please. And don't assume that just because I have an Asian face that I cannot understand English, I don't assume that just because you have a "white" face that you do not understand Chinese. You travel to another country, and it's like the whole civil rights...open minded-ness...equality...all that just goes out the window.

Just try not to be ignorant. It's not that hard.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home